Uniform / Dress Allowance Rules Eligibility & Taxation Exemption for Nurse & Central Govt. Under 7th Pay Commission
Uniform allowance is a special kind of allowance given to the employees who are ordered to wear a prescribed dress at the time of their work. Any employee can avail this allowance if he/she is ordered to maintain a certain dress code. The nurses in hospital or the front-desk staffs in hotel can avail this allowance. This allowance is paid to the employees in addition to their salary as they will require more money to buy their prescribed uniform. This allowance will be paid to the employees as a part of their salary.
Here you read about Pay Scale in 7th Pay Commission
Definition of Uniform Allowance
Uniform means an identical type of dress worn by the employees of an organization. Some of the central government staff is ordered to maintain a certain dress code. The employees are obliged to spend more money for maintaining their dress code. Thus the government provides them with Uniform Allowance so that the employees don’t need to spend on their uniform. This allowance is paid to the employees as a part of their salary.
Uniform Allowance Rules and Eligibility
- This allowance is only given to the employees who are doing government jobs.
- This allowance is only given to those who are prescribed to maintain a certain dress code.
- The office goers of a company can’t avail this allowance as they have no certain dress code.
- All the employees maintaining a certain dress code can avail the benefits of this allowance.
- This allowance will be paid as a part of salary and no extra amount of money would be given for this.
- This allowance is exempt from tax.
- This allowance is only given to the employees so they can purchase their certain uniform to wear it at the time of their duty.
- This uniform is covered under the category of special allowances for government employees.
Uniform Allowance for Nurse
The nurses of a hospital have to maintain a prescribed dress code. The nurses have to buy their required uniform and their salary is not adequate to make extra purchases that too for maintaining a rule set by the employer. So, the nurses of a hospital are provided an addition to their salary for buying their uniform. This allowance gives the nurses to purchase their clothes and dismiss their extra cost.
The uniform allowance for nurses has increased over the years. Below is a table to show the rate of allowance in different years.
|Year||Uniform Allowance for Nurses|
|2008||Rs. 6, 000|
|2010||Rs. 6, 500|
|2011||Rs. 7, 500|
|2014||Rs. 9, 000|
Uniform Allowance for Central Government Employees
The employees who have to wear a certain dress are given uniform allowance. This allowance is applicable to the employees of Police and Military. This allowance is also given to the nurses of hospital and the employees of fire service.
Uniform Allowance Exemption
Uniform Allowance is exempt from tax to the level of expenses incurred for official requirements. The employees who enjoy the benefits of Uniform Allowance will not need to pay any income tax on this as it is exempt from tax.
Uniform Allowance in 7th Pay Commission
- As per the newly implemented 7th Pay Commission, the Dress Allowance will also be revised and new slab of dress allowance has been introduced.
- Employees who need to wear uniforms during performing duty such as defense personnel, fire fighters, medical staffs etc are provided with uniform allowance, washing allowance, kit maintenance allowance, etc.
- The monthly allowance for dress and uniforms has been changed to yearly allowance which will be provided in four slabs – Rs. 20,000, Rs. 15,000, Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 5,000.
- The nurses who need high maintenance of their uniforms will keep getting the allowance on monthly basis. Whereas the SPG personnel will have a higher dress allowance than other recommended rates under the new pay commission.
Here you can read All Allowance Bhatta In 7th Pay Commission
Although the Pay Commission has recommended certain things, but the ministry may increase the Uniform Allowance for staffs of other categories such as Staff car drivers and Trackmen.
Other Articles :
- Technical Allowance Eligibility Rules Under 7th Pay Commission
- Electricity Allowances Rules Eligibility In Seventh Pay Commission