Ward Councillor Salary in India And Allowance [Duties, Roles, And Responsibilities]
Governing a huge nation like India is not an easy task. There are clear demarcations in the democratic framework. The state government has its organizations at the grassroots levels. It helps the ruling political party form reforms for the betterment of the people. The post of a ward councilor is rather essential in the urban political scenario. This person must win the ward election, from his/her residential area. He/she must be actively associated with a political party.
Salary of the ward councilor
Each state government plays a direct part in specifying the overall monthly pay of the elected ward councilor. Depending on the laws, enforced in respective states, the ward councilor will get anything between Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 20,000 on a monthly basis. Accordingly, the yearly pay of the councilor will not be more than Rs. 240,000.
Additional allowances of the ward councilor
All elected ward councilors are entitled to receive some additional allowances. The salary of the ward councilor is not uniform in all Indian states. The ruling state government has the power to make amendments to the salaries and other perks of these councilors. In addition to the monthly salaries, these elected members will receive meeting allowances. The state governments allot anything between Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 for each meeting. The state government may sanction extra funds to meet emergency situations in the respective ward.
Roles and responsibilities of ward councilor
- Development of the area – It is not possible for the state ministers to keep track of what is happening in all bocks. It is here that the importance of the ward councilor comes to the forefront. The development of the ward is the first and most important responsibility of the elected ward councilor.
- Ensuring better facilities – Betterment of health services, education, water, and power supply, roads and sanitation are necessary obligations of the councilor. Only a competent counselor will be able to offer such facilities for all.
- Eliminating problems – Apart from highlighting the issues, which the ward residents face, it is the responsibility of the counselor to come up with effective solutions. If he/she fails to pave the path for the development of the area, then people will replace him/her with another person.
- Liaison with other governmental departments – It is also the duty of the ward councilor to bridge the gap between the people and the higher authoritative levels. These ward councilors also inform elected senior leaders about the condition of the residents.
- Policy development – Finally, another responsibility of the ward councilor is to ensure that people in their ward don’t face any problems. For this, he/she must take part in necessary policy development.
The elected ward councilor will also be entitled to receive travel allowances within the state. These individuals will also receive monetary allowances for paying their landline telephone bills. After the end of tenure, the councilor can opt for reelection.